Monday, April 27, 2009


These spells may be used by any magic-user or elf, but are also suitable for the "magic knight" variant of my arcanist class ... which will have a tweaking and full level progression posted eventually, I swear *grins*

The Argent Thorn
Level: 1
Range: Touch
Duration: 5 rounds
Effect: Silvers a weapon

Casting this spell on a weapon cloaks it in a pale silvery radiance, impossible to miss but not strong enough to see by. The weapon takes on the ability to injure lycanthropes and other creatures vulnerable to silver weapons; the energies of the enchantment further inflict an additional 1-2 hit points of damage if the victim of an attack is vulnerable to silver.

The Drop of Light
Level: 1
Range: Touch
Duration: 3 rounds
Effect: Enchants a weapon against undead

Casting this spell on a weapon cloaks it in a pearly, luminous sheen; when used to attack, the weapon trails tiny motes of light. Any undead creature struck by the weapon takes an additional 1-4 hit points damage and must immediately check for morale (if applicable) with a -2 penalty.

The Phoenix Tail
Level: 2
Range: Touch
Duration: 3 rounds
Effect: Sheathes a weapon in dazzling flames

Casting this spell on a weapon sheathes it in a brilliant, trailing fan of red-gold flames. When the weapon is used to attack, it trails a wake of rippling flame that occasionally displays peacock-like "eyes" of gold or pale jade; the flames inflict 2-8 hit points of damage in addition to the weapon's normal damage, and the victim is dazzled for a round if a save vs. spell is failed.


trollsmyth said...

Nice, especially that last one. These would work really well for my rogue class.

I'm curious, though, do you have any sort of overriding scheme for dividing magic-user from clerical powers? I can't help but think some of these would work better for a cleric, but I imagine that has more to do with my current campaign than these spells.

taichara said...


I'm glad you like them *grins* I should probably start adding higher-level things eventually; most of my blades are 2nd-3rd or a little higher.

I probably do have a scheme of sorts, but I'd be hard-pressed to describe it in a basic sense; it's more of a gut feeling and goes differently for different campaigns/editions. In the case of these three, all three are for magic-users because they involve banes or "curses" (or fire!), evoking a force that happens to be inimical to certain critters.

I have a variant of The Drop of Light that harms evil/chaotic critters and undead but heals good/lawful targets, though, and I could make a good case for that one being clerical or at least accessible by clerics. Certain ones, anyway ;3

*thinking* I suppose, as far as BEMCI goes, if it's direct damage or involves blatant enchanting it's more likely to go to the magic-users ...? Though certainly the two 1st-level spells could be given to clerics without breaking anything, I expect ...

eliyes said...

I don't have anything useful to say; just "oooh, pretty!" *_*