Thursday, January 22, 2009

Monster: Killer Book

Killer Book
Armour Class: 5 (2)
Hit Dice: 2+5
Move: 0
Attacks: 1
Damage: 2-8 + special
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: M4
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: O
Alignment: Neutral
XP Value: 25

A special sort of creation, half construct and half trap, a killer book is a bane to Magic-Users and Thieves who aren't wary enough when confronted by an apparently easy prize. Usually prominently displayed -- open on a podium or pedestal, perhaps -- a killer book resembles a large, ornate spellbook with its pages open to some tempting magical notation.

Should anyone not keyed to the book attempt to move it or turn its pages the book animates and lunges, clamping onto the miscreant with teeth of magical force that cause 2-8 hit points of damage. It will hang on and continue to inflict 2 points of damage per round until destroyed.

Some killer books are bound in metal, resulting in an Armour Class of 2 instead of 5.

2 comments:

Jack Badelaire said...

Has someone been watching Army of Darkness recently?

Neat monster. I might personally have it do less damage (since that might kill your average MU or Thief outright on the first bite), but otherwise, me likey.

taichara said...

Actually, I don't think I've ever watched more than a few minutes of Army of Darkness ... I was just feeling mean *grins*

Good point about the damage, also; I was debating something lower but spellbooks are biggish things in Red Box. Maybe when I do a rewrite, I'll make it variable.