Wednesday, April 27, 2011

W: Watery realms ...

One of these days, I will run an aquatic/undersea/marine-based campaign. Whether the main action is on a scatter of islands with some submarine facets, or primarily under the waves with a bit of activity on the surface -- or, hell, just plunk a campaign in the Plane of Water and be done with it -- it shall be done.

I have an abiding fascination with watery realms and aquatic adventuring, all the better when mixed with ice and snow; I suppose this can be blamed on my native stomping-grounds, but the careless abandon with which I'll mix up my critters, places and even climates probably more resembles a jigsaw of oceanic concepts than anything else. Unfortunately, an aquatic setting is even more specialized than some of the other special campaign types I've bandied about and no one's quite gone for the idea yet.

Hell, I even have a watery/icy world that's something of a slowly budding pet project which would be ideal for a more sci-fantasy sort of game, with periodic hibernatory freezing and other such fun things.

Aah well, back to the musing ...

4 comments:

trollsmyth said...

Undersea adventures are a favorite of mine as well. I've wiled away many an afternoon commute figuring out what a merfolk city looks like, or how undersea communities conduct agriculture.

Mothman's Dog said...

That would be the campaign of mine that was killed by everyone switching over to 3e/d20...

Anonymous said...

Undersea adventures are often times overlooked by DMs... I went to them early on but got caught up in dungeons later on. Maybe I should reconsider them again.

Cool post

C'nor (Outermost_Toe) said...

Do it! (And tell us about it!)