Monday, April 27, 2009

Bladespells

These spells may be used by any magic-user or elf, but are also suitable for the "magic knight" variant of my arcanist class ... which will have a tweaking and full level progression posted eventually, I swear *grins*

The Argent Thorn
Level: 1
Range: Touch
Duration: 5 rounds
Effect: Silvers a weapon

Casting this spell on a weapon cloaks it in a pale silvery radiance, impossible to miss but not strong enough to see by. The weapon takes on the ability to injure lycanthropes and other creatures vulnerable to silver weapons; the energies of the enchantment further inflict an additional 1-2 hit points of damage if the victim of an attack is vulnerable to silver.


The Drop of Light
Level: 1
Range: Touch
Duration: 3 rounds
Effect: Enchants a weapon against undead

Casting this spell on a weapon cloaks it in a pearly, luminous sheen; when used to attack, the weapon trails tiny motes of light. Any undead creature struck by the weapon takes an additional 1-4 hit points damage and must immediately check for morale (if applicable) with a -2 penalty.


The Phoenix Tail
Level: 2
Range: Touch
Duration: 3 rounds
Effect: Sheathes a weapon in dazzling flames

Casting this spell on a weapon sheathes it in a brilliant, trailing fan of red-gold flames. When the weapon is used to attack, it trails a wake of rippling flame that occasionally displays peacock-like "eyes" of gold or pale jade; the flames inflict 2-8 hit points of damage in addition to the weapon's normal damage, and the victim is dazzled for a round if a save vs. spell is failed.

3 comments:

trollsmyth said...

Nice, especially that last one. These would work really well for my rogue class.

I'm curious, though, do you have any sort of overriding scheme for dividing magic-user from clerical powers? I can't help but think some of these would work better for a cleric, but I imagine that has more to do with my current campaign than these spells.

taichara said...

@trollsmyth:

I'm glad you like them *grins* I should probably start adding higher-level things eventually; most of my blades are 2nd-3rd or a little higher.

I probably do have a scheme of sorts, but I'd be hard-pressed to describe it in a basic sense; it's more of a gut feeling and goes differently for different campaigns/editions. In the case of these three, all three are for magic-users because they involve banes or "curses" (or fire!), evoking a force that happens to be inimical to certain critters.

I have a variant of The Drop of Light that harms evil/chaotic critters and undead but heals good/lawful targets, though, and I could make a good case for that one being clerical or at least accessible by clerics. Certain ones, anyway ;3

*thinking* I suppose, as far as BEMCI goes, if it's direct damage or involves blatant enchanting it's more likely to go to the magic-users ...? Though certainly the two 1st-level spells could be given to clerics without breaking anything, I expect ...

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything useful to say; just "oooh, pretty!" *_*